Castiglione in Teverina is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Viterbo in the Italian region Lazio, located about 90 kilometres (56 mi) northwest of Rome and about 25 kilometres (16 mi) northeast of Viterbo.
Castiglione is located in area once settled by the Etruscans. The current town grew from around the year 1000 from a castle and, in 1351, it housed the inhabitants of the destroyed Paterno. It was a fief of the Monaldeschi della Cervara and of the Savelli families. Sold to the House of Farnese in 1539, it was part of the Duchy of Castro until 1637, when the citizens bought back their freedom for 20,000 ducats.
It remained part of the Papal States until 1870, when it was annexed to the newly unified Kingdom of Italy.
Viterbo is an ancient city and comune in the Lazio region of central Italy, the capital of the province of Viterbo.
It conquered and absorbed the neighboring town of Ferento in its early history. It is approximately 80 kilometres (50 miles) north of GRA (Rome) on the Via Cassia, and it is surrounded by the Monti Cimini and Monti Volsini. The historic center of the city is surrounded by medieval walls, still intact, built during the 11th and 12th centuries. Entrance to the walled center of the city is through ancient gates.
Apart from agriculture, the main resources of Viterbo's area are pottery, marble, and wood. The town is home to the Italian gold reserves, an important Academy of Fine Arts, the University of Tuscia, and the Italian Army's Aviation Command headquarters and training centre. It is located in a wide thermal area, attracting many tourists from the whole of central Italy.